Sebamala disqualified from DP presidency, according to Democratic Party President Norbert Mao, who cited the party’s constitution during a press briefing. Speaking ahead of the National Delegates Conference set for May 30 in Mbarara, Mao stated that Bukoto Central MP Richard Sebamala lacks the qualifications to contest for DP’s top seat.
Mao explained that the constitution outlines these requirements clearly and said he had already addressed the matter in Soroti. He pointed out that Sebamala attended the meeting and should understand the constitutional limits. According to Mao, Sebamala’s presidential bid lacks legal standing and is driven by excitement, not eligibility.
He blamed internal party tensions on what he called “petty politics” and external attempts to interfere with DP affairs. Mao warned that political opponents were using DP as a platform for manipulation. He declared that as long as he remains in charge, DP won’t serve external agendas.
Mao further accused some ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) figures of backing Sebamala. He believes they oppose the cooperation agreement between DP and the NRM government. Mao added that some individuals feel threatened by his position in government and are now supporting internal rivals to weaken him.
He raised concerns about the campaign financing observed in the race. According to Mao, the money circulating during this internal campaign season is unlike anything the party has seen in 70 years. He suspects outside sponsors may be trying to influence DP’s leadership.
Drawing from past events, Mao referred to the 2010 case involving Mukasa Mbidde. Mbidde, he said, tried to secure the vice presidency despite being ineligible. Although he campaigned heavily, the party still enforced its constitution. Mao insisted the same rules would apply this time.
He also said every MP eyeing the presidency knows the constitutional barriers. He emphasized that these rules are written clearly and are not a matter of personal opinion.
However, Sebamala challenged Mao’s claims during a phone interview. He said the timing of the disqualification was suspicious. Sebamala explained that his nomination occurred nearly a month ago. If there was a problem, he argued, party officials had ample time to inform him.
He insisted that he qualifies, especially under the requirement of having served five years on the National Council. Sebamala claimed the real issue stems from Mao’s decision to hold elections two months earlier than expected. He argued that his five-year term would have matured had the voting taken place on schedule.
DP Electoral Commission Chairperson Kenny Mutenyo confirmed that four candidates had expressed interest in the presidency. These include Norbert Mao, Richard Sebamala, Michael Lulume Bayiga of Buikwe South, and the DP Vice President for Northern Uganda.
As the delegates prepare to gather in Mbarara, this controversy continues to dominate party discussions. The constitutional dispute adds tension to a race that already reflects deeper divisions within Uganda’s oldest opposition party.

