The Lungu burial dispute has ended Zambia’s national mourning period earlier than planned. President Hakainde Hichilema announced the decision after the late president’s family blocked the return of his body from South Africa.
Zambia had declared national mourning from June 8. Authorities later extended it to June 23 to allow proper burial arrangements. Officials expected Lungu’s remains to return on Wednesday aboard a private charter.
Government and military leaders had prepared a full state reception. Plans included a lying-in-state ceremony at his home, a public funeral on Sunday, and burial the next day.
However, Lungu’s family refused to proceed. They accused the government of breaking an earlier agreement on the funeral programme. The family said they hoped to bury him in Zambia someday, but not under current conditions.
President Hichilema expressed regret. He apologized to South African authorities and military teams who had prepared for the handover. He emphasized that Lungu, as a former head of state, should rest on Zambian soil with full national honors.
In a Thursday night address, Hichilema said the country could not mourn indefinitely. He noted that the government had done everything possible to engage with the family. According to him, it was time for Zambia to return to normal life.
The Lungu burial dispute has sparked wide public debate. The opposition Patriotic Front (PF), which Lungu once led, accused the government of politicizing the situation. PF acting president Given Lubinda said the government had failed to show proper respect.
Civil society and church leaders also spoke out. They urged calm, dialogue, and a peaceful resolution. Rev. Emmanuel Chikoya of the Council of Churches in Zambia said the conflict was hurting national dignity and unity.
Despite the setback, government officials said they remained open to dialogue. However, without a burial date or an agreed return of the body, they believed it was no longer practical to continue mourning.
Edgar Lungu led Zambia from 2015 to 2021. He stepped away after losing the 2021 election but returned to politics later. His ambitions to run again were blocked in 2023 by the Constitutional Court. Judges ruled that he had already served the constitutional maximum of two terms.
Even after that ruling, Lungu stayed active and continued criticizing President Hichilema. He remained a key figure in Zambian politics until his death earlier this month in South Africa.
He had traveled there for treatment for an undisclosed illness. His death shocked the nation and revived debate over how Zambia honors its former leaders.
The Lungu burial dispute has left Zambia without closure. While the government ended the mourning period, many citizens hope the two sides can reach a respectful agreement.
READ: Zambia Resolves Funeral Dispute for Late Ex-President Edgar Lungu

